New guidelines set to hit Aussie schools recommend that birthday cake candles should be banned from classrooms. Do you agree?
Battery candles may be on order soon for Australian schools, as new guidelines recommend that blowing out candles on a communal birthday cake should be banned to stop the spread of disease. The new rule comes part of a set of guidelines published by the National Health and Research council, which also includes regulations on washing children's hands before and after using a sandpit and strict facility cleaning routines.
Whilst some parents are pleased that their children might avoid getting ill, others are labelling the guidelines as 'overbearing' and 'ridiculous'. Steve Hambleton, president of the Australian Medical Association, believes that the new rules are trying to place "kids in a bubble".
Hambleton despaired, "If somebody sneezes on a cake, I probably don't want to eat it either, but if you're blowing out candles, how many organisms are transferred to a communal cake, for goodness' sake?"
Speaking to The Telegraph newspaper in Sydney, one parent discussed how they thought that the new guideline were "protecting [their] kids too much". They continued, "Let the kids be kids, get some germs, build up the immunity, and get on with it. How about the politicians focus on getting other things right."
Whilst the new measure may be seen as unnecessary for some, the idea of not using traditional wax candles on a birthday cake may be a good one. By using a battery candle on a birthday cake instead, you avoid wax dripping onto the icing as the candles burn, as well as any of the disease spreading concerns that the National Health and Research council are aiming to combat.
For those who agree that the rules are a bit silly and will be sticking to traditional candles, check out these fun, flameless colour changing party lights which are great for brightening up a birthday party table setting. Order yours from Battery Candles for £2.95 each.