Flameless candles never burn down, no heat, no mess. Safe around children and pets

Using Flameless Candles in Theatre

Battery Candles shouldn't just be kept in homes, they belong on the stage

Our flameless candles are no stranger to the spotlight, having appeared in Sky 1's live OSCAR coverage and by Sarah Beeny in 'Beeny's Restoration Nightmare' on Channel 4. Whether being used in the retelling of a classic Dickensian play or a modern representation of everyday life, the understated flickering of our range of flameless candles look just like the real thing. 

Flameless Candles for Continuity

Anyone who has ever been on a television set or seen behind-the-scenes footage of their favourite shows being filmed know that multiple takes are required. If you are planning to capture your acting on camera, using real candles can cause continuity discrepancies as the candle burns down and the wax drips. Swapping to flameless candles ensures that they will look the same no matter how long it takes to get the perfect take. In terms of set design, it's important that props fit into the scene without stealing it. If your audience is staring at the candle rather than what's happening on stage, perhaps you're doing something wrong! Flameless candles give a natural flicker which shouldn't distract. 

Fire Rules & Regulations

Having an open flame on stage is a lot of hassle, leading to unnecessary paperwork and extra expenditure. One Technical Director described the process of gaining permission for a scene which required a single match to be lit on Control Booth: After filing for a permit, the scene had to be carried out with a trained fire extinguisher waiting in the wings, after being rehearsed in front of a Fire Marshall. Another told of a production which required $1200 worth of fire proofing to make sure that that a candle was being used safely. Of course, the approval process is different depending on your location, venue and subject matter. If you're set on using a real flame, make sure you do your research to ensure it is being lit safely and within regulations.

Image by Stuart Anthony on Flickr